One of the most dreaded things in a girl’s life is the breakout of acne or a pimple. Apart from looking unsightly sometimes they may even leave scars or black spots if not treated properly. Here are some of the myths that are associated with acne and the real facts about them.
- Washing the face frequently decreases the chances of getting acne- The truth is that too much exfoliating can actually exacerbate skin problems. Too much washing and cleansing dries and irritates the skin, making the skin more acne prone.
- Only teenagers get acne- Most people think that they will grow out of acne after they pass the teenage years as it is only a hormonal problem. But the truth is even adults suffer from acne. Women particularly suffer from acne around their periods due to increase in estrogen levels.
- Eating chocolates cause acne- Any food containing a lot of sugar increases the blood cortisol levels and increases chances of acne. So the problem isn’t the cocoa but the sugar. Eating dark chocolates will not cause any problem.
- Toothpaste can heal acne- Many people apply toothpaste over acne or a pimple which does dry it out. But toothpaste are not suitable for skin and therefore may cause irritation and rashes.
- Popping the pimple will heal it faster- It is actually very bad because it causes trauma to the skin and may lead to inflammation and infection.
- Food habits have nothing to do with acne- Those who eat more sugary foods, processed foods, and dairy products are more prone to getting acne and pimples.
Home remedies for acne
Some of the home remedies that can be tried to get rid of acne and pimples are as follows
- Take a zinc supplement- Zinc is a very important factor for cell growth and immune function. It reduces the chances of getting acne considerably
- Apply Apple cider vinegar-It should be diluted with water as applying concentrated apple cider vinegar may cause burns and irritation on the skin.
- Apply tea tree oil- It is an essential oil and known to have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It should also be diluted before use.
- Apply Honey- Honey also possesses antibacterial properties and can help in the treatment of acne.
So these are some of the natural methods for the pimple treatment. You can try these and get clear and blemish free skin.